Meet Christopher Canning
When it comes to tackling complex business and legal matters for his clients,
Chris Canning rolls up his sleeves with the same determination he displayed
when Wilmette's ash trees were attacked and destroyed by Emerald Ash
Borer. As Village President, he decided to "make lemonade out of
lemons" by turning the felled ash trees in his own backyard into
baseball bats for the local youth baseball program. An innovative thinker
and problem solver, Canning applies this same verve to the cases he handles
as a business lawyer.
As a Wilmette business lawyer, he combines his love for public service
and passion for providing his clients with strong resolutions to a wide
range of business matters. The milestones in Canning's professional
career have been many. Below you can find a detailed list of his qualifications
CANNING & CANNING LLC.,
Wilmette, IL.- June 2009 to Present
General practice firm with concentration on business formation and counseling;
employment law including employment contracts and separation agreements;
litigation in both state and federal courts; representation of clients
before local and state agencies.
Representative clients include Westmoreland Country Club, F. J. Kerrigan
Plumbing, CONLON, A Real Estate Company, John Crane, Inc., and The Stained Glass.
VULCAN SPORTS MEDIA, INC.,
Northbrook, Illinois, - January 2006 to June 2009
General Counsel of the operator of three large market AM radio stations
owned by Microsoft co-founder Paul G. Allen. Previous owner of The Sporting
News print, radio, and online businesses.
VULCAN SPORTS MEDIA D/B/A THE SPORTING NEWS,
, Illinois - 2001 to 2006
Vice President and General Counsel of America's oldest sports magazine;
the media company included print, online and radio platforms.
Supervised all legal affairs of the Company's print, radio and online
business units. Negotiated and drafted commercial, talent and vendor contracts;
real estate contracts and leases. Reviewed advertising content, contest
rules and story content. Represented corporation in arbitration and mediation
proceedings. Conducted internal investigations. Retained and supervised
specialized outside counsel.
ONE-ON-ONE SPORTS, INC.,
Vice President and General Counsel of the largest 24/7 live sports radio
network in the United States with more than 200 stations.
WINSTON & STRAWN,
Illinois - 1988 to 2000
An international law firm of more than 900 attorneys.
Extensive litigation experience with breach of contract, excess compensation,
real estate, mortgage foreclosure, law firm breakup, franchise and defamation
cases. Trial and appellate experience in both state and federal courts.
Arbitration and mediation experience for commercial clients
- United States Supreme Court
- Supreme Court of Illinois
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- Trial Bar, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
LOYOLA UNIVERSITY SCHOOL OF LAW, Chicago, Illinois - Juris Doctor
BOSTON COLLEGE, Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts - Bachelor of Arts, cum laude
- Director, PACE, the Suburban Bus Division of the Regional Transportation Authority
- Village President of Wilmette, Illinois
- Chair, Wilmette Fire Pension Fund
- Chair, Village of Wilmette Ad Hoc Business Development Group
- President, Northwest Municipal Conference
- Co-Chair, Legislative Committee, Northwest Municipal Conference
- Chair, RTA Citizens Advisory Board
- Member, Evanston Hospital Citizen Advisory Council
- Member, Pension Fairness for Illinois Communities Coalition
- Chair and Member, Wilmette Zoning Board of Appeals
- President, St. Joseph School Board